These are selected quotes from "The Bridge Across Forever" by Richard Bach. This book is one of my all-time favorites and I believe it had a great impact on me back then when I read it in 1995 and this impact is still resounding until today :)
- You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true.
- Whatever enchants also guides and protects. Passionately obsessed by anything we love...an avalanche of magic flattens the way ahead, levels rules, reasons, dissents, bears us with it over chasms, fears, doubts. Without the power of that love, we're boats becalmed on seas of boredom, and those are deadly.
- The more enlightened we become, the more we can't be lived up to by anybody anywhere. The more we learn, the more we'd better expect to live by ourselves.
- Home is whatever we know and love. Home is with us wherever we choose to be.
- Part of us is always the observer, and no matter what, it observes. It watches us. It does not care if we are happy or unhappy, if we are sick or well, if we live or die. Its only job is to sit there on our shoulder and pass judgment on whether we are worthwhile human beings.
- There are no mistakes. The events we bring upon ourselves, no matter how unpleasant, are necessary in order to learn what we need to learn; whatever steps we take, they're necessary to reach the places we've chosen to go.
- Everyone has plates of iron and rows of spikes somewhere inside that say, "this is as far as you go with me."
- We have to deal in a currency that's meaningful to us or all the success in the world won't feel good, it won't bring happiness.
- There's no sensitive way to deal with insensitive people!
- Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?!
- Look in the mirror, and one thing is sure: what we see is not who we are.
- The best way to pay for a lovely moment is to enjoy it.
- Learning is...not whether we lose the game, but how we lose and how we've changed because of it and what we take away from it that we never had before, to apply to other games. Losing, in a curious way, is winning.